A journey through Dublin’s gay clubland (117, Oct 2015)

Over the last couple of years at Banter, we’ve returned again and again to a few different themes. One of these regular threads has to do with the past, present and future of Dublin club culture and we’ve had a couple of lively nights out already as we’ve discussed and disected this one.

To co-incide with a screening of the Paris Is Burning documentary next month, we’ll be talking to a couple of scene observers about the changing nature of Dublin’s gay clubland over the last couple of decades and what might come next. Tonie WalshWill St LegerConor Behan and Mimi Rouge will join us for a journey from Flikkers, Sides and Shaft to PowerbubbleHorny Organ TribeGag and Ham and onto Mother and The George with a few diversions along the way.

Apart from the Banter discussion and the screening, there will also be a 1970s and 1980s New York City themed party afterwards with Billy ScurryKelly-Anne ByrneLouis ScullyGreg & Russell and friends spunning the lushest disco records all night long. Brought to you by Discotekken and This Greedy Pig, it’s a night for those who dig disco, drag, fashion, house music, nightlife history, equality, film and design.

Details: the Paris Is Burning/Banter/NYC Disco Party takes place at the Sugar Club on Saturday October 3 from 8pm. Tickets are available here for €12. A special, handmade letterpress Paris Is Burning print will be given to the first 100 people on the night and €1 from every ticket sold will be donated to BelongTo