Banter at Other Voices (153, Dec 2016)

It’s time for our now annual trip to the Kingdom. On Saturday and Sunday December 3 and 4, Banter joins Other Voices and takes up residence by the fire in the back of Foxy John’s in downtown Dingle where we’ll be joined by a fine cast of talkers, makers, do-ers and players for some conversations and music. We’ll be open for business both days from 2pm to 6pm and admission is free. Please note that capacity is limited so get there when doors open at 1.30pm if you want a chair or standing room.

ov-banter-2

Here’s who will be joining us on the edge of Europe over the weekend – big thanks to Banter Other Voices co-conspirator Molly King for all her programming work on this one

Dr Suzanne O’Sullivan: tales from the frontline of psychosmatic illness with the Dublin-born neurologist and author of It’s All In Your Head, the winner of the Wellcome Book Prize 2016

Catherine Murphy TD: the Kildare North TD and Social Democrats’ co-founder on her political activism, life as a public representative, the Irish parliamentary system, new politics, the Social Democrats and making the headlines

Paul Howard: the man behind the trials, tribulations and triumphs of Ross O’Carroll-Kelly about his new book I Read the News Today, Oh Boy about the life and times of Tara Browne, the inspiration behind The Beatles’ “A Day In the Life”

Aoife Kelleher: the documentary maker behind the award winning One Million DublinersStrange Occurrences In A Small Irish Village and Growing Up Gay on the art of storytelling on screen

Aideen Barry: a profile of the Cork visual artist whose Brittlefield retrospective at the RHA was one of the year’s cultural highlights

Eithne Shortall: The Sunday Times’ chief arts writer joins us for Banter’s Review of the Arts to talk about the books, films, music, theatre, art and other cultural highlights and lowlights of the past year

Aoibheann McNamara: an odyssey into slow food and slow fashion with the Donegal-born firebrand behind Galway restaurant Ard Bia and The Tweed Project.

Bringing It All Back Home: we talk to the folks behind Bean In DingleAirt and WK Fitness

There will be also be music at Banter over the weekend from some fantastic acts turning up namely Jealous of the BirdsJack O’RourkeAilbhe Reddyand, as become the tradition at Banter in Dingle, some trad maestros in the shape of Cormac Begley and Caoimhín Ó Raghallaigh. We will also have some very special suprise guests so don’t say you weren’t warned.