Irish Hip-Hop: Got to Get Up to Get Down (031, July 2012)

Limerick’s inaugural Make a Move festival of hip-hop culture was the first stop in our summer tour for a panel on Irish Hip-Hop: Got to Get Up to Get Down. We were joined at the Daghdha Church by Paul Tarpey (Cheebah), Kieran Nolan (founder of irishhiphop.com), mynameisjOhn and Temper-Mental MissElayneous to run the rule over the past, present and future of life on the Irish hip-hop beat. From RTE’s Ireland’s Rappers documentary to Scary Eire and beyond, it was a hugely engaging hour in the life of the culture. Many thanks to Shane Curtin and all at Make A Move for the invitation and hospitality.

The Banter panel (from left): Jim Carroll, TemperMental MissElayneous, Kieran Nolan, mynameisjOhn and Paul Tarpey. Photo by Shane Serrano